Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Temptations of the good stuff

I stood there, bowling ball in hand, my fingers tightly gripping that lightweight ball made for short nerds like myself. Last frame. I had to make at least nine pins to break 50 points, because I'm a horrible player. I start my approach, my eyes fixed upon the ten pins menacingly pointed at me. I wound up my arm. Right before I set the ball rolling on the hardwood, I heard from behind me "Eucharist!" and "Holy Water!"

I foot faulted.

My stupid protestant friends, knowing how much of an obsessive Catholic I was, were able to distract me by letting such sweet words fall from their lips.

Just like the devil. 

(Yes, I'm comparing protestants to the devil. Deal with it. I'm totally joking, but deal (= .) Like my protestant friends, the devil often tempts me with truly awesome stuff. It's a sneaky temptation. He tempts me with the desire to be more holy, leading me on a path away from my true calling. My pride loves this "path to holiness" because it's so ostentatious, and everyone can see it. I spend hours reading Catholic blogs, looking up theological terminology, writing blog posts... anything that makes me FEEL more holy. I will learn all about the Council of Chalcedon, for example, and consider myself better for it.

I'm not trying to disparage learning about the faith and sharing it. If anything, all of us could use some education about our faith, myself included. But when we learn such knowledge at the expense of our true vocation, that's a sin.

For example: I'm writing a blog post right now; that's a good thing. But I'm not applying for jobs to pay for college, and I'm not checking my email to see if I have statistics homework due today (which I probably do). Thus, writing a blog post = bad thing. I hate statistics, and I love theology more than whipped cream and fruit loops (that stuff is awesome, btw). But my vocation right now is being a STUDENT, not a theologian or professional blogger. 

So with that in mind, I'm gonna get off this blog and do that homework that I'm pretty sure exists, and do a few job applications. So adios. If anyone actually reads this (I'm talking to you, the three people besides myself that voted on my recent poll!!!) please leave a comment telling me what to write about next. I have no creative ability.

Tie Guy

Update: I found out my homework isn't due to Oct. 3rd, but at least I know now that it exists.

1 comment:

  1. *I am, not I was.
    and you voted on your own poll? and you claim you don't have an ego?
    You should write a guide on how to not lead a guy on... since you are an expert on that subject. or you could write about Name of the Rose.
    and you don't have any creative ability.... no imagination... it's kind of pathetic. I am your friend out of pure pity because I know somebody as hideous as you surely has no friends.

    ReplyDelete